Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Help


This is a note to all Mom's out there who read my blog. Elizabeth will not leave Abby alone! Elizabeth has always loved her sister and always wants to be a big helper but lately we can not put Abby down without Elizabeth trying to play with her, tickle her, jump over her, pull her, or try to pick her up. Luckily Abby has not been hurt yet but some of these things really scare me. I don't know if we are just putting Abby down on the ground more often now so I notice it more or if Elizabeth does it more because we give her attention (negative though it may be) or what it is. We have started to put her in time out after a warning but that again is just more attention. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I guess it could be just a phase and hopefully in a few months Abby will be able to crawl and get away or hopefully not get bugged so much by her loving sister.

3 comments:

Kaija said...

I wish I had some advice!

MaryAnn said...

Hey, Jenny. My only thought is to get her a baby doll and have her constantly take care of that. Make sure she knows she's HER mommy and YOU are Abby's mommy. Abby's mommy takes care of Abby, dolly's mommy takes care of dolly. Have her feed her, diaper her, burp her, etc. Make sense? It's hard, I know. I hope it's just a short phase for you!
Alexandra and I are looking forward to seeing you all next month! Can't wait to meet Abby!

Melanie said...

Hi Jenny! Thought I'd throw my two cents in...alot of it is just curiosity. Abby is a living doll and a source of your attention. alot of times they just want to see what all the fuss is about, what would happen if they poked or pushed them, etc. Sometimes i'm sure she thinks she's helping you. When we run into this I have found that talking to the older child about how sad it makes the baby when we hurt them is effective. (You can get more of a reaction by showing her how sad it makes abby/you than how mad it makes you. does that make sense?) "We don't want to make abby sad do we?" stuff like that. it seems cheesy,but it helps if they understand more WHY we don't do that, instead of that they are just in trouble for doing it. It will be worth the time out every time to her because the curiosity of it all is too much. (But for sure she still needs a timeout for hurting.) Also, exersaucers and or a swing for abby while you are away will help your sanity. Cuz bottom line, the "older" kids just don't get it for awhile. Hope that helps! Your girls sure are cute!!